July 19, 2012

Dandruff, Psoriasis or dry scalp?

July 19, 2012

Check out an updated post on my dandruff condition here!

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I have a flaky scalp. It isn't the best accessory to bring with you and is probably a reason to be self-conscious. Having those nasty white flakes falling onto your dark clothing is more than embarrassing(and I love my dark tops)! I have lived with this issue for years and years, with each more serious episode slightly different from another. Well, I've always thought I had DANDRUFF, since the people who do comment (dear friends), would unrelentingly tell me.


http://wchild.deviantart.com/art/Snowing-texture-117096416

Dandruff flakes are a mixture of oil, sweat, bacteria and dead skin (scalp) tissue and are usually yellowish or orangey due to the oil and sweat. They can flake, or stick close to the scalp.


It can be due to various reasons like:
  • Hormonal changes 
  • Consumption of alcohol, high sugar or salt foods
  • Lack of nutrients
  • Weather changes 
  • Overactive oil glands
  • Bad hygiene 
  • Even stress

A dry scalp however, over-sheds dead, dehydrated skin cells. The flakes of a dry scalp is mostly white coloured. This condition can be caused by:
  • Inactive oil glands
  • Bad product use/buildup
  • Scratching
  • Over combing

Psoriasis is a much more serious skin condition faced by many people. It is a skin condition that causes patchy silvery scales to develop on a person's body, including the scalp. This underlying skin condition can be triggered by the weather, cuts and abrasions and even sunburn. It is best to get a dermatologist prescribe some steroids or shampoo!

*information retrieved from here, here and here

I suppose I have a dry scalp more than one with dandruff.


Until recently, I did little to no research on this bugging issue. Head and Shoulders was always readily available to me in the shower. My mom seemed to face flakes too, so it probably was hereditary. Obviously the household anti-dandruff shampoo wasn't working wonders. In recent years, I have come to realise that I pick my scalp often – when I was reading, watching videos, blah blah. It kinda is a terrible habit that I felt good doing. It was my version of finger-biting and this addiction of mine wasn't helping the situation, it created the vicious cycle. I would feel for bits of dead skin on my scalp and remove it with my filthy fingernails. Ugh, sorry for grossing both of us out. I know I had to stop this nonsense.

A couple of weeks ago, I went on a hunt for a suitable shampoo for my condition. I stumbled across Dermaveen's Oatmeal shampoo meant to soothe dry and irritating scalp. I was immediately drawn to the smell of it (almonds and oatmeal!) and purchased it about a week later. I have used it a handful of times and I quite like it! The aroma is pleasing and comforting, and it does sooth my, at times, itchy scalp. Hair feels squeaky clean out of the shower (which I'm not used to) and makes my wet hair less smooth unlike conventional shampoo. However, when dried, my hair feels light, bouncy and soft!

Dermaveen Oatmeal Shampoo
Dermaveen Oatmeal Shampoo
Dermaveen Oatmeal Shampoo
Dermaveen Oatmeal Shampoo

It's still too early to predict the effectiveness of the shampoo, but heck, I'm enjoying it now.

I purchased Dermaveen Oatmeal Shampoo from Unity (a pharmacy by NTUC) for $16.90 (ish).



4 comments:

  1. Did it help on your hair condition? I have the similar problem like yours as well. I have been dying to find a cure to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt that it helped slightly for the first few washes but it went bad again.

      But I have good news! I have been using an anti-dandruff shampoo from Garnier and the results are goood. I'm onto my second bottle (200ml) will do an update and review very soon! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's great! Will be waiting for your update! : D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...